Monday 2 February 2015

Button Up Your Overcoat

I’m sure you’ve read all this, and have gathered an opinion of how well I’m able to cope with the things life throws at me. Well, depends how you define “cope”, really.  If by that you think I can get through it all without hanging myself or generally massacring humanity, then fair enough, yes.  But if you think I’m able to stumble through the lot with complete equanimity and indifference to what happens, then you’re wrong.  Horribly wrong.

---

I am not well.  I have not been well for at least 30 years, if not my entire life. Other people, from my parents, my teachers, my doctors, and my immediate superiors at work have not realised or understood this.  In many ways, it’s not their fault.  I’ve tried my best to hide it.  After all, how far can you get in life if you say “I’m a fucking basket case, and can’t cope with all this shit.”?  My guess is not very, so I don’t say anything.

Whereas I have Asperger Syndrome (look, I have an official diagnosis and everything, from a REAL psychiatrist rather than an multiple choice internet test), I don’t necessarily want people to know this.  It would be wonderful if people had no prejudices about others who were Neurologically Different, but no, people don’t work like that.  I’ve regularly heard people, hopefully unknowingly about my status, talk disparagingly about people who are “Aspergers” or  “autistic”.  I can’t say anything.  Boat rockers not welcome.

And so, I try my best to fit in.  Whether I do it well or not is not for me to say.  My sister-in-law describes me as eccentric.  Well, that’s what she says.  Who knows what she actually means?  As a defence mechanism, I always say “I’m not eccentric.  Everyone else is.” Which cannot be disproved, but nobody would actually believe it.

I do try hard.  Despite what other people would say.  I go out, I talk to people.  I interact with them .  Possibly not in the way they’d want me to.  I’ve found that people would rather talk about utterly irrelevant subjects (football, reality TV)  and for that I can’t say anything.  I have a feeling I’m blamed for this, because it’s my fault I have no interest in the “normal” things.

But nonetheless, I do try.  Eventually, if I can get the people conversed with down to two, or at best one, I can get to subjects I can talk about.  I’m sure I’ve bored many of the barstaff at pubs with my alleged conversation.  Unfortunately for them, there are no drinks to pull, so they have to appear to be interested in what I say.  I have no illusions about my own personal charisma.  I just assume I’m slightly more interesting than cleaning.

---

Alcohol is a harsh mistress. Better, I’ll admit, than a real girlfriend. While it costs a lot and makes you miserable and ill, it only does so for about a day.  After which you can choose whether you want to indulge again.  In a relationship, however, your significant other is at you all the time. No matter how bad you feel.

I get drunk fairly regularly. There are many reasons for this.

I’ll admit to liking the taste of beer, whisky and various cocktails. I’m sure such knowledge is not news to anybody who knows me. But that’s not the reason I go out. I have enough alcoholic drinks on my shelves as home to kill me twenty times over.  I could get drunk at home for ages, and for free too.  So why do I go down the pub?

In many ways, my regular life is very socially disappointing. I work with a lot of people in retail, but I don’t have anything in common with them.  They are, I hesitate to say, normal. They watch TV, they drink and fight and screw and argue and make up and generally have what psychologists would term an emotionally fulfilling life.  I wouldn’t be able to cope with that.  My life is based around ruthlessly cutting out emotions so I can whittle everything down to a level I can cope with. If ever I go out with the people I work with, I have to leave early before I get angry or upset.  If they ask later, I just say I was tired.

My days off are Sunday and Monday. And, by god, am I grateful. I’ve tried going out on Friday and Saturday, even in the places I normally go.  And I cannot cope.  I cannot cope with the regular, normal members of the human race being crass, crude, loud and drunk. I have to hide in a corner and wait to go home.  Sometimes the barstaff who know me ask if everything is ok.  I lie and say yes.  Easier than explaining my emotional state in a noisy and crowded bar.

Even when I go out on the quiet days, it never goes right.  It starts off ok.  I can cope when they pub is empty, or only has a couple of people in.   But the more crowded it gets, the more I have to drink to blot it out.  I’m sure you’re saying now “Then why the bloody hell do you go, if it’s that obviously distressing?”. It’s both simple and sad to explain.

I can’t relate to real people, as described above.  The people who work in the pub are the closest I have to a family.  Sure, I have a real family, but the vast majority of them are simply carrying too much baggage about me, are too far away, or too busy to deal with me.  Whatever can be said about pub staff, they’re always there.  Whether they actually are interested or just want to ensure my continued custom is not for me to say. 


I hope they do like me as a person though, despite the obvious and massive flaws described above. As someone told me recently, I do make it bloody hard for people to be friends with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment